Sunday, October 17, 2010
Vintage Designer of the Day
LISNER: Early 1900s - Late 1985
The D. Lisner & Company was founded in New York City in the early 1900s. The Lisner Company manufactured a broad range of jewelry from high quality, in the 1950s, using more expensive and superior aurora borealis stones and rhinestone, to medium priced and the lower priced range similar to Coro jewelry. Their Richelieu line of jewelry contained more expensive materials such as aurora borealis and Lucite cabochons along with Austrian rhinestones. And these pieces today, are some of the best Lisner produced and most popular with collectors. Mark: "LISNER" in block was the mark first used in 1935, "Lisner" in script first used in 1938, and "Lisner in script letters with a long L in a circle" used in and after 1959. The marks alone does not date jewelry pieces of Lisner’s 55 plus years of production due to the fact that the molds, findings and stamping dies were kept and used again at later dates. The Lisner jewelry designs contained colored rhinestones including aurora borealis, molded plastic and Lucite stones, some showing Art Deco influence. In 1978, the company changed its name to Lisner-Richelieu Corporation. The Lisner Company ceased operations in late 1985.