Saturday, October 23, 2010
Vintage jewelry Designer Of the Day
LEO GLASS CO.: 1928 - 1957
The Leo Glass Company NYC was founded in 1928 by Leo Glass after having worked in costume jewelry design for the Lisner Company for 10 years. Family members also designed some of the jewelry. In the beginning, the company imported as well as manufactured its costume jewelry until 1941 bringing to the public jewelry of the highest quality, highly priced, using sterling silver metal with the best stones found throughout the country. In 1946, the company started producing costume jewelry including necklaces, bracelets, earrings, brooches, clips, lockets, rings and chatelaines of clear rhinestones reducing creativity and design quality to medium and low standards. Mark: "Courtly Jewels" on a crown type tag. Designers for the company included Leo Glass, Ann Glass, Beatrice Glass and in 1941, David Mir. Mark: Leo Glass" in script and "Leo Glass Sterling". In 1957, the Leo Glass Company went bankrupt and all good were auctioned off on August 27, 1957.